Sunday, February 26, 2012

Project: Smoke-Stacked - Part 2

Another week's worth of work, and we are getting closer to the finish line.  Here's a summary of the progress.

I cut out the holes for the dampers to set in, and drilled out the pilot holes for the screws.  Here it is just lined up making sure the hole was cut large enough.

Here's all three of the barrels together, with the two dampers on for a test fitting.

Next, I had to drill the holes and have a test fitting with the double barrel leg adapters.




 I threw the top barrel on the legs, just to give you an idea of what it will look like eventually.


After that, I went ahead and cut out the exhaust hole, where the smoke will exit out the top.  I eyeballed it to get it roughly at a 45 degree angle. 

Now it's time to start thinking about the opening for the top barrel.  I used painter's tape and measured from the seam in the barrel, using a fabric tape measure. 

After some cutting with the jig saw, and angle grinder, we have our opening!

 The door will be cut hopefully by my next update.  In preparation for the door, I want to share my ingenious solution for a handle.  After consulting with my friend Erik, he convinced me that a spring handle is probably the way to go.  This will ensure that you won't burn your hand during a long smoke, and it will never rot away like wood eventually will.  Trying to stay as cost efficient as possible, here's how you can make your own cool handle, on the cheap!


First, buy a welder's hammer.  These are available for like $6 at Home Depot.


Carefully use an angle grinder to cut the welds off of the original shaft.  Once, it's off, slide it onto a 5/16" threaded rod. 

After that, I slid a pair of steel 3"x3" L-Braces that I had already drilled 5/16" holes in.  Throw on a couple of 5/16" nuts, and you've got yourself a handle!  Granted, I still need to bolt it to the door, but still...

More to come later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment