Sunday, March 4, 2012

Project: Smoke-Stacked - Part 3

 After another productive weekend, we are getting closer to being done.  My parents came to visit this weekend, so my dad was able to help me quite a bit on Saturday.  I didn't get as much done on Sunday as I had hoped, but we're getting there.
So, on with my dad offering his help, we were able to cut out the holes in the bottom of the top barrel, as well size up, and mount the angle iron in the barrel which will be used to hold the cooking grates. 


Here's a shot looking straight down through both barrels.  

I wanted to make sure my cooking grates would fit and everything, so here's a sneak peek at the 22"x33" cooking surface. 

After doing a little research online, and reading from others that have built these same designs, I think I might need to have an additional source of air for the fire barrel.  My buddy Erik also indicated this would possibly be an issue.  So, I decided to make my own air intake on the backside of the fire barrel, opposite of the stove door.  First, I drew circles to cut out on a scrap piece of metal (the piece I had cut out for the stove door), and drew out a design that I would be able to bend a little handle for, and be able to rotate around 360 degrees.  After cutting it all out, I traced the holes onto the fire barrel, and drilled out matching holes on it.  So, after I get it all attached I can regulate how ever much air I need from both ends of the fire barrel. Here's a shot of the plate lined up with the holes in the barrel.

And here's a shot of the plate spun 180 degrees, closing off the holes.

I don't have a picture, but I was also able to cut out the door.  Here is a shot of the door after being painted.    

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get anything else painted, but everything else is literally all set up and waiting to be painted in my garage.  It's supposed to be pretty nice this week, so hopefully I can get it done soon!  Stay tuned for further updates.

1 comment:

  1. Hey,
    I'm making a smoker much like this one. and though my door isnt cut as neatly, its generally the same. however, when I put it together there is a lot of space between the smoker chamber and the door, even with the 1/8" gasket. How are you keeping that door pressed and keeping a seal? Thanks
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete